Monday, April 13, 2020

Festivals VISHU or ONAM

VISHU or ONAM these days are only messages and calls.
Traditionally in Kerala, this was the time of jackfruits and Mangos.
Plenty of setting and shirtless childhood with playing and fun.

Now this year of COVID Distress TIME is with no Fun and Fury and only LIFE on LIVE and OnLINE.
These days were on 21 days of Lockdown and had one hour facebook LIVE with scriptures to make some people around to take some values and create a self bliss that can be shared to make all happy around.
Today will be my last LIVE in this series and waiting for the MODI MAMA declaration on Lockdown.
Delhi Balagokulam asked for the LIVE on ZOOM.
all-new experience and good takes.

I am not able to have Sadhya (Food in luxury), that is what any festival is meant for many.
I was not, never keen on any of this food, though at times, yes I do enjoy the variety of different tastes of vegetables these days.
My food taste too changed a lot. Olden days were Kanji with Fried Dry-Fish with the smell was mouth watering for me. The smell was enough for me.
The Mango - coconut chutney was of great taste too.

Vishu and Onam sadhya is never that in memory - that is what I wanted to tell here.

What brings in mind of these festive?
Yes, I go for a round at PTK (Valiyettan) and PPK (Kittaleppan).
They will give me some Kaineettam (Cash - those days it was 10 or later 50 to 100 rupees from 1980 to 1990 years) that was the only memory.

When many come, like Sreeyettan (ProfTPS) home during these holidays. But they have their own time and they all have a good time. It was all more of restrictions and I have to pretend that I am studying, as they are all masters on inspection like feeling is that I used to have.

One memory I had was a time when Jagadeesh yettan and younger sister of him, who came slipped the stair and fell.
Sreeyettan's reaction was scolding and beating her.
This is one memory that I have.
Another one great memory was -
Prof TPS used to have nut, PAN those days and he wanted me to buy that. It was 3 paise. He gave 10 paise.
I bought one and two OLAPPATAKAM (bomb made of Palm leaf cover) which was costing 2 paise or so, I bought 3 or 4.
With the nut, I have to give the balance 7 paise to ProfTPS.
I had the money in my coin collection dubba (box) that was in an old CUTICURA (powder tin) and that I safely kept in Kottilakam (bedroom inside) the roof had panels and holes inside.
The back door was always open and I took the west entry to the yard and got inside the room without anyone's notice.
Before I could take the money from the tin box, I was caught by ProfTPS and he scolded and bate me. This was more of sounding memory to me than any of the Crackers.

Most interesting was the Vishu that the blacksmith (Chandootty) home nearby - they used to have many varieties of things on display for the Kani (Pooja room) display. that was their luxury items and that was different from ours. This gave me the lesson that all that we have in rituals are based on our needs and no basic prescription is given as part of rituals in any text.

Vishu is a time for resolution like the new year, though we had no special on the January 1st in my childhood, it went unnoticed.

The festival during Holidays time is Vishu and Onam used to be followed by the exam, that was not very good.

Not any other festive was in memory.

Yes KAMAN, the Rama Navami was of some special style with keeping mud-cow dung mixed statue that is kept and did pooja beside the tree root was some memory in childhood. That didn't stay as we all were grown and traditions are forgotten.

When I grew and started my income, giving cash during vishu or buying Onam new dress for many around was festive for me.

Once I remember my hand got burned due to rounding chakra cracker and that was reminded when Hari, when he was young, had a small similar incident when he stepped on the fire bit of the cracker.

In Hyderabad when we used to be for the festive, the home decoration and keeping items was more a task as we have to hunt for items like the Konnappoo (yellow flower) going into the military area and get the items shared from many around.

Most of the festivals were then used to be travel to Kerala, going to relatives homes and also to meet relatives.

I had a great dream of Vishu with a lot of family and visitors at Jnnanam, Naduvil.
But all are faded and not in view in the future too.

Grow like a tree and Fall-like a river.


No comments:

Post a Comment